Monday 15 October 2007

In Praise Of... Gideon Coe




This week is Gideon Coe's last in the 10am-1pm slot he's presented on 6 Music since the digital station launched in March 2002.

I've listened most mornings since then and if it wasn't for this show my 6 Music consumption would be minimal. Gid has the qualities of every great DJ: personable, witty, engaging, knowledgeable and brilliant at making his listeners feel part of something quite special.

The list of artists who've played sessions on his show since 2002 is phenomenal and includes personal favourites such as Andrew Bird and The Broken Family Band as well as far bigger names. In the last week I've snuck out of the office twice, just after 11.30 to see great Hub Sessions from Richard Hawley and a reformed Carter USM.

I'll obviously be tuning in next Monday at 10pm to hear Gid's new show. I'll reserve judgment on George Lamb, his mid-morning replacement, but my confidence is not high in a DJ on a music network who expressed curiosity on air that the Sugarcubes lead singer sounded curiously similar to Bjork.

Until then, I'll be savouring what's left of this perfect pre-lunch radio show and wearing my Duffer Badge with pride.

0 comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

ShareThis

 

Back to TOP

Glamour Bomb Templates